FOR MEMBERS ONLY
BOAT BUILDING CLASS 2024
During the winter months, SBCSA introduces members to the art of boatbuilding. No prior boatbuilding knowledge is required. Basic woodworking skills are helpful, but not necessary.
What You'll Learn
A variety of construction methods are taught, including:
- stitch and glue,
- strip planking, and
- glued lapstrake.
Building techniques include:
- lofting (creating curved lines),
- layout, and
- mold set-up.
Other skills are also taught, such as:
- reading basic boat plans
- proper use of hand and power shop tools
- epoxy bonding and filleting
- sheathing with fiberglass
- fitting planks and structural membranes
- creating fair surfaces (a surface without bumps or hollows)
- proper application and use of West System® epoxy and fiberglass
- paint and varnish techniques to get the perfect paint/varnish job.
Types of Boats Built
Each season, the boat-building class will continue to work on existing projects and start new ones. Past projects include:
- a pair of wood strip 12-foot-long Wood Duck kayaks,
- a 20-foot-long wood strip triple cockpit Osprey kayak, and
- a 16-foot-long strip plank Bob’s Special canoe.
Completed boats are raffled off or sold and proceeds support the SBCSA’s youth and adult sailing programs.
Boatbuilding classes are open to adult members of the SBCSA. You must be at least 18 years of age to participate in this class.
Classes begin Monday, January 8 2024. Classes are held on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:00 – 9:00 pm.
Classes held until middle to late April.
The Gougeon Boat Shop at 100 Patterson Ave, Bay City, MI 48706.
BOAT BUILDING CLASS
BOAT BUILDING CLASS
Please complete the form below to join the Boat Building Class. Payment of $70 (for materials) by credit card will be required to submit your application using this online form.
You must be an SBCSA member to join this class. Please see the membership application if you are not already a member.
If you would prefer to pay by check, please download the paper application form and mail it to SBCSA following the instructions on the form.